Saturday, December 30, 2006

Statistics

The Marathi Wiktionary has 121 articles. OmegaWiki has 120 expressions in Marathi. I had a look at the recent changes of the Marathi Wiktionary, it was full of changes to the MediaWiki messages. Consider, the same work was probably already done on the Marathi Wikipedia. When these updates are done in this way, people will not be able to benefit on other projects that are of interest to people that read and write Marathi.

It is really relevant that the work done on languages like Marathi count. BetaWiki was a place that functioned well, however as it was not part of the MediaWiki projects, it was ignored by some of the developers. With the inclusion of the software written for BetaWiki in the Incubator, there will be a more obvious place for the localisation of MediaWiki. It will be a place that is easy to understand for translators. The work done there will benefit all the projects where people are able to use their language for their User interface.

Thanks,
GerardM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear GerardM,
Thanks, you took note of Developments in Marathi Wiktionary.I work at Marathi Wikipedia too,majior localisation of MediaWiki is going on, in a special project meant for same.

I am not a technical person , but still wanted to help localisation at MediaWiki,I did a little touring there to find if I can transalate some interface there , but I did not find any facility for non technical persons there.Then lot of simmillerly named projects Mediawiki,Wikimedia and so on kept confusing me more as I tried to understand more.

Again I have some unanswered questons in my mind ,like pace of wikimedia software development is faster than the pace of our translations ,so every time a new version comes we will start a new marathon which we know we are slow at running.

On Marathi Wiktionary,I did localisation to take care of minimum level for immidaiate needs.

Another thing ,at Omegawiki as a new visitor I could not browse Marathi entries comfortably enough , neither purpose of simmiller wiki was clear to me.
I hope over a time peiod I can understand omegawiki better
.I use the same user name at Marathi Wikipedia.
Thanks again and Happy new year to you!
-mahitgar

GerardM said...

I have asked the techies to include the Marathi localisation as one of the languages MediaWiki supports. The current way of localisation is not really efficient. It is much better when there is one obvious central place for all the localisation.

To make this happen, I have proposed to use the 'Incubator' for this as well. This means that this functionality is to be moved from 'Betawiki' and the Betawiki functionality is to be included as well.

Brion informed me that he does not have time until the 1.9 release and Single User Login are both out of the way. As localisation is of such importance, I have yet another reason why I want SUL as soon as possible to happen.

Thanks,
GerardM

concrete batch plant said...

I was asked if they could use my computer to play a multi user game. I did not mind, I made them promise me that they would uninstall this game when they are done / before I am to leave.

concrete batch plant said...

Again I have some unanswered questons in my mind ,like pace of wikimedia software development is faster than the pace of our translations ,so every time a new version comes we will start a new marathon which we know we are slow at running.