Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Music and languages, the sound of it

It seems obvious that a language can be associated with its culture. Particularly music provides a nice window on both language and culture. It is really good fun to listen to music from all different parts of the world. With Sabine I have listened and seen much music on youtube. There has been much that I would otherwise never have heard of.

Not knowing the language, you listen to the sound. The language in the music that I heard from Berto, Piedmontese, is so different from Neapolitan. The Neapolitan sounds more like Spanish and Piedmontese is more like what I associate with Tirol. Knowing the geography and some history it makes some sense.

At this moment I really like I Musicatoria. Have a listen, I think you will like it :)

Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: