Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Using #Wikimedia #Commons for stock photography

Illustrations are a vital ingredient of blogs. The promotion of the freely licensed content of Wikimedia's Commons is important because we want people to use our illustrations, our maps, our photos. Use them outside of Wikipedia, use them in project, use them on blogs.

Grote Grazers

On this blog I prefer to use pictures from Commons however, I cannot be bothered with all the associated crap I should do. Thanks to some clever work by Magnus Manske, I am now able to have the picture in my blog and, have some license indications as well.


For my favourite picture I changed some values on the example Magnus provided to let you share my picture of big grazers. As you can see, there are many options available for reuse. This functionality is a big improvement and it deserves to be implemented so that we can promote Commons and have an added incentive for people to upload their work so that we have even more pictures to choose from.
Thanks,
        GerardM

1 comment:

Peter Weis said...

A nice gadget, still i have some concerns.
What happens if:
1.) the picture gets deleted?
2.) the license changes?
3.) this severely increases traffic on behalf of wikimedia?